Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Rocking Chairs

I love to sit in a rocking chair and just rock, rock, rock. That is one of the reasons I love to patronize a particular restaurant chain. While waiting to be seated or hanging around with friends after the meal, I can rock, rock, rock, talk, talk, talk.


When I was knee high to a grasshopper, I used to rock in the backseat of the car and sing, sing, sing. My sister would plead to Mom, "Make him be quiet!" And Dad would complain outloud that I was causing the car to go backwards!


Apparently, my self-pacification was more important to Mom than my sister's solace or preventing the car from going "backwards." So I just rocked, rocked, rocked, sang, sang, sang. I wasn't what you might think, hyper; I simply enjoyed rocking and singing....


Now, I still love to rock as much as the next person, but have you ever noticed when we rock that we're in motion but not going anywhere? Uh, you're sitting down....? Of course, but what I'm getting at is the way we live our life sometimes can be similar to sitting in a rocking chair.


We rock, rock, rock, talk, talk, talk, sing, sing, sing and all the while we are just marking time, going through the motions with our notions and going nowhere fast. From where we started and where we arrived are one and the same. And we look back and scratch our head and say, "Where did the time go?" There's been no growth, progress, or development. We've in effect rocked ourselves to sleep as time went flying by.


It's okay to enjoy life, and if you like to rock in a rocking chair, you know that it is a wonderful way to relax. I love to rock and read even though it is a little difficult to follow the words. Who ever invented the rocking chair must have borrowed the concept of beating swords into plowshares and converted the idea of a bow into a rocking chair? It is a picture of tranquility.


The last recorded words of the Apostle Peter are found in 2 Peter 3:18, But grow in grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and forever. Amen. Growth is natural, involving change. If there is no evidence of spiritual growth in a person's life, something is wrong with that person. Growth in a sense takes us from where we are and moves us to a point where we have never been. Today, I am more like Christ than I was yesterday but greater still tomorrow.


 The next time we plop down in a rocking chair to relax and unwind, maybe we will remember to ask ourselves, "Am I rocking in life or am I growing?" Did you know we can do both? That's what I like about all of this. We can have our cake and eat it, too, if you please! We can rock, rock, rock, talk, talk, talk, sing, sing, sing as we grow up into being just like Jesus. Now, that's going somewhere with a purpose and enjoying life along the way. Rock and grow!