Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Boardwalks

We have all been down one of these boardwalks to the ocean. It is one of those times that you don't mind feeling a little squeezed because you know at the end it opens up. Why do we love to sit out on the beach and look out toward the ocean as if we were expecting something? Whatever it is has got us spellbound. We don't have to be thinking about anything in particular; so we sit and look out over the water.


When my wife and I traveled to Florida, the horizon on the Gulf of Mexico was the only thing that looked unchanged since I was a young boy, endless water. The retreating wave reminded me of when I was a boy skimboarding across the thin trail of water left behind; countless colorful coquinas dove for cover beneath the wet sand as I glided over them. 


Whenever I walk down a boardwalk like this, I think of what Jesus said about the way being narrow. But look where that narrow path leads, to a heavenly horizon. One day this narrow path will open up to eternity, and we can swim in the ocean of God's grace and bask in the light of His Son. It is good for us to continue to walk on that boardwalk of faith, because one day, it is going to open up to an infinite view, eternally pristine, untouched by human hands. We will, without a doubt, be gloriously mesmerized. <><