Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Apple Pie

Did you know that God knows the recipe for the best apple pie on the planet? What? Did you know that God knows the recipe for the best apple pie on the planet? Because one of God’s attributes is having all knowledge, we must conclude that God knows this. He knows how to make the best crust,too! “No way,” you say; perhaps you think I am being sacrilegious, because such things are too mundane for God; He certainly has more important matters to occupy His mind than some silly notion about apple pie or any such nonsense!” Really?


Well, have you ever plucked a juicy sun sweet apple right off the tree and ate it? Tasted pretty good didn’t it! Where did the apple get its taste? Did the taste just happen to come about from the big bang of earth’s evolvement? Or might it be that the formulation of taste was the result of some kind of intelligent design? The Bible ID’s the I.D. – Elohim, God. From no greater authoritative source we learn in Genesis 1:11, “Then God [Elohim] said, ‘Let the earth bring forth … the fruit tree.…’” Why is this important about an apple pie?


Well, first of all, God created the apple tree; it didn't evolve, and two, God wouldn’t be God if He didn’t know how to make the best apple pie known to man; it did originate with Him! For man to improve upon God’s work would make man superior to God; that’s not going to happen (Isa 40:13; 55:9; Rom 11:34; I Cor 2:16). God knows everything (e.g., Psa 139:1-6; Isa 40:12-14; 46:9-10; Prov 5:21; Rom 11:33) and better than anyone (Rom 11:33-36; Col 2:3; Prov 3:19; Ps 104:24; 147:5; Jer 10:12; Job 12:13).


So, do I think God has ever personally made an apple pie? Probably not, but I don’t think it is because He doesn’t know how to make one. He probably could do one of those ex nihilo moves, out of nothing, like He did with the Universe, if He so desired. Or, I suspect He may have passed that secret along throughout the ages to some people in the world.


Whenever I see an apple pie on the dinner table or at a restaurant, it makes me think about God’s omniscience, His all-knowingness. For some odd reason I cannot explain why an apple pie directs my thoughts toward God. Probably, if I would lay on the couch or in some plush chair or go under hypnosis, some professional might discover some clues, embedded in the recesses of my mind, that give birth to my twisted way of thinking. Be that as it may, the fact that God is interested in the most delicate and minute matters such as the taste of an apple pie is a curious but compelling thing to me. And that is not a bad thing nor am I attempting to bring God down to a level of mediocrity or to reduce God to man-size.


But the wonderful truth is that God desires to identify with us on our level without compromising His essence (cf. Heb 4:15). I want God to be so commonplace that I recognize His presence everywhere I go and in everything I experience. I understand His distinctiveness from man; He is holy, eternal, almighty, everywhere, and knows everything. He is without rival; God is completely other than (Ex 15:11; Ps 86:8; 89:6; Isa 40:18, 25; Jer 10:6).


It is hard to imagine the God of the universe who is interested in every aspect of our life: what we think, where we go, what we see, what we hear, what we taste, what we smell, and what we feel (Psa 8:3-4; 139:1-18); it is mind boggling, but He takes a very keen interest in us for we are His sons and daughters whom have received Him as our personal Lord and Savior (Jn 1:12). Someone once said that the problem wasn’t the apple tree in the Garden of Eden but the “pear” on the ground! Our relationship with Him should be as right as apple pie, but for that to happen we must see our need of Him for eternal redemption and daily reliance.


I have tasted some heavenly apple pies in my time; I think God worked through some of those gifted pie makers to give me a foretaste of glory divine, particularly when they slap some vanilla ice cream manna on top! Is God too God to entertain such thoughts; the God who holds the sun, moon, and stars in place as well as the protons, electrons, and neutrons (Col 1:17)? The correct theological answer would be,"No."


So in my thinking between those enormous celestial bodies in outer space to the sub-atomic particles of inner space, there is this piece of apple pie that keeps getting my attention about God’s all knowingness!


Sure, I admit I’m not right in the head. But I would have to reason rightly that God would not be God if He didn’t know about the best tasting, mouth-watering apple pie man could ever put in his mouth. When we realize God wants to be included in the smallest details of our lives, isn't a slice of apple pie a sweet reminder to us that God knows everything?


In fact He even knows my situation right now (Psa 139:1-6); He is also right in the middle of it with me (Heb 13:5); and He has the power to do something about it (Jer 32:27), like working all things together for good (Rom 8:28)! He is that way with all of His children! Did I ever tell you about this killer cherry pie I ate once in Tennessee that was out of this world? That is another story, but I surmised God let one of His secrets out over there in Memphis.... <><